Day 16, 6/14/15, Sunday
Weather: Cloudy, scattered thunderstorms in travel area during the day. Temperature in the 70s.
Rain had come in during the night and the outside temperature was cold. We awoke early but by park regulations we could not turn on the generator until 8 am. We need the generator to power the stabilizing legs and to power the slide room.
By 9 am we departed Many Glacier, Glacier Nat. Park camp ground in Babb, Montana and returned to Rt. 89 northbound. About one hour after we left the park (Gail took MANY pictures on the exit road) we arrived at the border crossing at Port of Piegon, Montana/Carway, Alberta. Upon entering Canada the route number changed to Rt. 2. Another change was the speed signs posted in metric, kilometers per hour, instead of miles per hour that we have in the States. Some quick calculations and a setting change in the GPS and we were on our way.
The scenery as we drove on was of beautiful open prairie inhabited by scattered farm houses, horses, cows, bulls, and buffalo. The flat land was a relief after yesterday’s continuous steep inclines/declines. Our destination for the day was to find a camping park somewhere north of Calgary. This would have given us about three hundred miles total travel for the day.
We stopped in Fort Macloud, Alberta to purchase some food supplies and top-off the fuel tank. Although we were going to make a stop in Calgary, we decided not to because the information that we had received showed nothing exciting going on. It’s still early in the season here too. We continued on with the driving.
No sooner had we passed Calgary than the onboard computer began flashing engine warning symbols. We checked the manual and all of the information indicated that we needed to go to a qualified service center. A call was made to Mercedes Canada and they gave us the nearest location that could handle us. Wouldn’t you know that service area was back in Calgary. Naturally being Sunday, the service was closed. So we had to make their parking area our location to spend the night. Now we wait until the morning to see what the prognoses will be.
G & P